Skip to main content

How do I obtain a CIVIL no-contact order in NY state?

Saratoga Springs, NY |
Filed under: Litigation

I need to obtain a civil no-contact order to prevent further harassment from my ex-husband who happens to live in WA state. He refuses to stop emailing me, makes continual baseless threats of legal action against me and according to the police in Enumclaw, WA, where my former spouse resides, I need to initiate the process here in NY, where I live. I have called the Sheriff's dept. and am waiting for them to come and take a report. What else can I do?

Attorney Answers 2


You need to do this through the family court in your county. You may wish to consult a local family lawyer, or you can just go to the County Courthouse and see if you can work through the bureaucracy.

Mark as helpful


What you're looking for is called a Protective Order in NYS, and you obtain one through a Family Court proceeding. It's not a complicated situation, provided you have legal grounds to sustain it, such as stalking, threats, physical harassment and other types of conduct.

Go to Family Court, and the clerk will tell you how to commence the proceeding. Your ex will have to be formally served with papers (by anyone over 18, except by you.)

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER -- THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. It is provided for general informational purpose only, does not pertain to a particular case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics