How do I obtain a change of beneficiary on a pension annuity

Asked 11 months ago - Vallejo, CA

my ex has me as beneficiary of her annuity and wants me to sign a waiver. do I need a lawyer? this was not mentioned in the final judgment is court required?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christine James


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You may want to have an attorney review what she wants you to sign and the divorce judgment. I certainly wouldn't sign it without taking those steps at least.

  2. Erik Robert Hartstrom

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Don't! The annuity is an asset that should have been dealt with in the final judgment. However, if the annuity was awarded to her in the final judgment then she can change the beneficiary unless the judgement provides otherwise. You should talk to a family law attorney about this matter.

    The information above should not be considered legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,269 answers this week

2,851 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,269 answers this week

2,851 attorneys answering