How do i object to findings and order after hearing?

Asked about 2 years ago - Rohnert Park, CA

Neither Parent can decide on schools, we went to court to decide. Judge agreed fathers side made sense logistically, mothers academically. Judge ruled in favor of mother. I am father. I will now be subjected to 50 miles daily travel, and neglect my other child because I cannot take both children to school. I want to object to this, but don't know how.

1. Matthew Jacob Rudy

3

Best Answer

Answered . It sounds as if you have no objection to the accuracy of the findings and order after hearing but rather to the Court's underlying order. There may be a number of options that you can pursue and you should meet with an experienced family law attorney in your community to discuss which options are best for you.

One option is a motion for reconsideration. This requires new facts or law that would alter the judge's decision but that were not known or in existence at the time of the original hearing. Accordingly. it is very difficult to succeed on a motion for reconsideration.

Another option is an appeal. An appeal is a lengthy process likely to take 18 months. On appeal the judge's factual determinations will be given a great deal of discretion. In family law proceedings the standard on appeal is generally "abuse of discretion" meaning that to successfully overturn a judge's decision you will have the burden of showing that the judge made a decision that no reasonable judge would have under the circumstances. This is again a difficult course of action to successfully navigate.

There are time limits attached to all of these options and accordingly it is important that you speak to an experienced family law attorney in your community as soon as possible to determine which, if any, course of action is in your best interests.

2. Donald Frederick Conviser

3

Answered . Per the two prior responders, you have very limited options. No objection to the Findings and Order after Hearing would work. Unless you have new facts, laws or circumstances that didn't exist at the time of the order, filing a Motion for Reconsideration would be a waste of time and money. The Judge exercised his/her discretion and made an order based on acedemic qualifications that is logistically inconvenient to you. An appeal would be very expensive and would take a long time, and it is unlikely that the order would be overturned unless the appellate court found that the Trial Judge abused his/her discretion. You might investigate alternative transportation options, including a friend, relative, school bus, taxi, shuttle, etc. for one of your two children.

3. Tammi L Faulks

Pro

2

Answered . When you object to a findings and order after hearing you're only objecting to the language not matching what the judge ordered if your actual question is how do you have the court reconsider its ruling you would have to file a request for order reconsidering the courts prior order that can only be done if new facts that were not available to you at the time of hearing become available and you file your request within 10 days your other alternative would be an appeal however that would require that the judge made an error in law it sounds as if neither of those options are available to you

4. Edna Carroll Straus

2

Answered . I agree with the prior responses, and wish only to add that your candor speaks well of you. But the judge, in seeming good faith, based the order on academics as being in the best interests of the child. This is precisely the sort of result that inevitably flows from a NON invested unrelated overworked human deciding how you and your ex will raise your children.

See if there is not away you can (as has been suggested) get creative and work this out,and keep keep judges out if your family life. Egos too, if possible.