How do I notice IRS that I changed my Corporation name? Do I need a new EIN?

Asked 10 months ago - Grandville, MI

I've converted my LLC into a C-Corp, and this is the first time I've changed it's name. I already applied my company to a new EIN before I changed my corporation name. How do I inform the IRS that I changed my business name, and do I need a new EIN?

1. John F. Brennan

7

1

Answered . You should not require a new EIN, and your prior name should be registered as a dba.
    You are clearly in need of a bit of business and accounting counsel.

2. Patrick D. Cole

5

Answered . I hate to answer your question without answering your question but a lot depends on other facts that were not disclosed in the question. I too suggest that you contact a business attorney to be able to fully counsel you on this situation.

3. Jerry D Miller

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Generally speaking, if all you have done is changed your business name, there is no need for a new EIN. You would note the name change on the your tax return when you file. I agree with the previous responders who recommended that you seek legal counsel on this issue as there may be additional facts that should be considered.

4. John P Corrigan

4

Answered . See attached link to IRS publication 1635 which will answer your particular question.
    http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-...

One or more answers have been taken down.