How do I notice IRS that I changed my Corporation name? Do I need a new EIN?

Asked 10 months ago - Grandville, MI

I've converted my LLC into a C-Corp, and this is the first time I've changed it's name. I already applied my company to a new EIN before I changed my corporation name. How do I inform the IRS that I changed my business name, and do I need a new EIN?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You should not require a new EIN, and your prior name should be registered as a dba.
    You are clearly in need of a bit of business and accounting counsel.

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an... more
  2. Patrick D. Cole

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I hate to answer your question without answering your question but a lot depends on other facts that were not disclosed in the question. I too suggest that you contact a business attorney to be able to fully counsel you on this situation.

    Every case is different. As such, the answer cannot be considered legal advice nor can it constitute an attorney-... more
  3. Jerry D Miller


    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Generally speaking, if all you have done is changed your business name, there is no need for a new EIN. You would note the name change on the your tax return when you file. I agree with the previous responders who recommended that you seek legal counsel on this issue as there may be additional facts that should be considered.

  4. John P Corrigan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . See attached link to IRS publication 1635 which will answer your particular question.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,454 answers this week

2,737 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,454 answers this week

2,737 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary