How do I negotiate and value my sweat equity for stock in a tech corporation? What is the process and what should I look for?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I have been working for a tech company currently in its startup phase for the past 6 months or so with many long nights and sunrises. Being an entrepreneur myself I know time is very important to get our product to market so I have been putting off negotiating my end. I have been wearing many hats within the company to help generate materials for VC investment. I have written the business plan and been crucial to many aspects of developing the business and financial models. I understand that I need to be compensated for my previous and future services. I would rather take equity now as I do not want to hinder the startup's cash flow. What are the steps I should take? What contract do I use? How and when is the stock transferred? Is there a guideline to follow here? Thanks!!!

1. Sean Patrick Lewis

5

Answered . First, does the company feel the same way? Have they made an offer? They will likely have a document giving you stock options or stock, and there really isn't much special that you need to do. It isn't clear whether you are indicating that there is something owed you, or whether you think that the company should reward you for good service.

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . Part of your question is business negotiation, not law, and no one on Avvo knows you, your company or any other aspect. If the company as a matter of business does not offer it to you, end of story: you have no rights to an equity participation.

If the company does offer equity ownership, they will be preparing the documents. You will need an experienced securities lawyer to review it all and give you customized advice based on your needs and the complanies capacities.

There is no "standard" form to negotiate what you seek or the documents you will receive.

3. Dana Howard Shultz

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Assuming that the corporation is willing to grant you an equity stake, it is up to the corporation - hopefully using legal counsel,so everything is done properly - to prepare the paperwork. All you can do is push management to do so.

There is no formula for the amount you are entitled to receive - it is whatever the parties agree upon.

Once you receive the paperwork, you should retain you own lawyer to review it.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Ripal Patel

1

Answered . You should speak with an Attorney. A big part of your questions and concerns fall under the umbrella of negotiation. To properly advice you, a lawyer will need to sit with you and understand what you have been doing, the company, how were you brought on board, was anything promised to you, have there been any discussions on compensation etc. How far are you with the VC process and getting funded will also play a key part.

I have worked with many start-up and had one of my own. I understand that the importance of having this figured out early.

Sincerely,
    Ripal Patel, Esq.
    San Jose Business Attorney

5. John Noah Kitta

1

Answered . Evaluation for a start up is really not really selling product. It’s far less on a precise science. From your AVVO statement it sounds as if you have a lack of communication with the managers and or founders of the company. You need to sit down and talk with them and come to some very exact and specific terms in regard to what your compensation is going to be and put this agreement in writing with specific dates, times and vesting periods.