How do I negotiate a minor personal injury claim directly with negligent party"s insurance?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I was at retail store when a heavy sharp item fell and hit me on the head. (felt like a brick)
my injuries are a very black Eye and concusion.

In fact, I never even sought medical care because there is no treatment for this injury. There is an accident report and I have photos of black eye and the sharp heavy item.

I also know the claim is not really dramtic enough for an attorney to bother taking. but I believe I do deserve some type of compension even if it is minimal.
Thank you

Additional information

thanks did go to Doctor and they did confirm diagnosis concusion with severe black eye and got pictures.
really no medical care beyond time to heal. however the insurance should pay the medical and some for P&S, medical about 2000 grand due to CT scan.

Lars thanks so much your right , concusion is not minor,

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Peter Scott Van Keuren

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . First thing you should do is consult with a personal injury attorney in Tampa. Most will offer a free initial consultation. If you decide to retain an attorney on a contingent fee basis be prepared to pay 1/3 of any settlement for fees the attorney to invest their time and energy in your claim. You will also be responsible for the costs incurred.

    Without medical care, the value of your claim is likely diminished. t is important to document and determine the extent of injuries early on. Without an attorney,you can expect to be presented with a lowball offer that likely do not have the expertise to evaluate for fairness.

  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is always a bad idea to try to negotiate a settlement without a lawyer. Find a local personal injury lawyer to assist you from Avvo. Perhaps Dolman Law Group will help.

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755
  3. John Kevin Griffin

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A good personal ijury attorney will take your case. Keep calling pi lawyers in your town.

  4. John Gus Zgourides

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Lassen. Get a lawyer on board.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  5. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Who says a concussion is a minor injury?You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,777 answers this week

2,900 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,777 answers this week

2,900 attorneys answering