How do I move to another state to provide a better life for my daughter when her father disagrees with everything?

Asked about 2 years ago - Eureka, CA

My almost 3 year old daughter's father had denied her until he had a paternity test ordered when she was 8 months old. He had not shown any interest in her or her life until her first birthday and none until the court hearing. He had nothing to do with her until I filed for full custody due to his constant threats to take her from me. The custody order says I have sole legal and physical custody of her but there is a stipulation that states I can not move out of this town or county without notarized consent from him. He argues about me moving even though he doesn't show up for the ordered visitation schedule as ordered. He gives me excuses of why he doesn't make it. He currently has not shown up in going on 3 months. I need help so I can provide a better life for my daughter and myself.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Daniel Seth Williams


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . As the primary custodial parent, you have a presumptive right to move so long as it is in good faith and not meant to disrupt visitation. I would suggest you email him asking him why he has missed so much visitation, without alluding to the planned move away. Then you can file your motion with this evidence of all the missed visitation. You would be best served with an attorney who can assist you in making sure the emails are properly introduced into evidence.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,897 answers this week

2,573 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,897 answers this week

2,573 attorneys answering