How do i modify my divorce decree to relieve myself from property

Asked 5 months ago - Orlando, FL

home was said to have been foreclosed on in 2010 n it was canceled the house was never put in divorce in 2012 cuz didnt no we still owned it until recently n i can not communicate with him due to case against him..i need help to resolve this im disabled n on limited income n what to sign house completely over to him or short sale it...plz help

1. Rebecca M Nunez

Pro

2

Answered . It is difficult to give legal advise when a complex case is reduced to only a few facts. It seems like you want to relinquish your rights in real estate. Generally, this is done by drafting, executing, and filing a quit claim deed. Contact an attorney in your area to explain your situation more fully and get a more specific response. Good luck!

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

Answered . If you cannot communicate with him directly due to a no contact order or something similar, then hire an attorney to handle the issue and propose signing a Quit Claim Deed as my colleague suggested in order to transfer your interest in the property over to him. However, I would first talk to an attorney because there are also liability concerns especially if you are on the mortgage.

3. Merin Seifer

Answered . There are multiple issues to address in your question. I would suggest first finding out the status of the foreclosure action and who currently holds title to the home. You will also want to find out if both you and your former husband would be liable for any mortgage deficiency that may result from the completion of a foreclosure action. I recommend speaking to an attorney to determine your best strategy regarding a workout option on the home. If your former husband's cooperation is required to complete options recommended by your attorney you can pursue this through agreement or by petitioning the court.