How do I make sure that non custodial parent has to pay child support?

Hillsville, VA |

My son's paternal grandmother has primary physical custody of my son and I share joint legal custody with her. Her son lost custody because of a drug problem, he lives in the house with his mother and spends more time with my son than I do. She is going to take me for child support. What do I need to do to make sure that my son's father, even though he has no custody, has to pay his share of child support?

1. If your son's father's parental rights have been terminated, he has no legal duty to pay child support. I encourage you to consult with an attorney who practices family law in your area.

2. I agree with the previous commenter, but if his rights have not been terminated you need to contact an attorney to asset you in making sure the father is included in a petition for child support payable to the child's custodian.

This is not legal advice, this is a general response that is only intended to be an analysis of the question and facts you have presented. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship, I am not your attorney. You must hire me and we must agree in writing to the representation to form an attorney-client relationship. I am only licensed to practice law in Virginia.