Skip to main content

How do I make sure I don't loose immigrant status while filing for tax refund?

Chicago, IL |

I got my Immigrant visa (through DV lottery) January 2013 and I am going to U.S. this summer. I was in U.S. on J-1 last summer (2012) and now I want to apply for tax refund. How should I go about filing the tax refund without endangering my status?
This is not the first time I am filing for tax refund. I have been doing it for the last two years. But now that I have a different status should I somehow indicate it somewhere on the form? The thing is I am filing for tax refund through a company, and I do minimum paperwork. Is there anything I should tell them before I file again?
I appreciate your input.

Attorney Answers 3


All Taxes questions have to be addressed with a Tax attorney/CPA.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


or both


Your question with respect to applying for a tax refund (provided you qualify, of course) for any given year should be directed to a CPA or a tax professional along with all supporting documents. Without your income, revenue, evidence of income and or 1099 or W-2 forms no one could tell you qualify.
In terms of your immigration status, your derivation of any income in the United States and filing your taxes with the IRS has no bearing on your status as anyone regardless of the documented/undocumented status must file a tax return.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You need to be despatched to the tax section for urgent help.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics