How do I make sure I don't loose immigrant status while filing for tax refund?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I got my Immigrant visa (through DV lottery) January 2013 and I am going to U.S. this summer. I was in U.S. on J-1 last summer (2012) and now I want to apply for tax refund. How should I go about filing the tax refund without endangering my status?
This is not the first time I am filing for tax refund. I have been doing it for the last two years. But now that I have a different status should I somehow indicate it somewhere on the form? The thing is I am filing for tax refund through a company, and I do minimum paperwork. Is there anything I should tell them before I file again?
I appreciate your input.

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

3

4

Answered . All Taxes questions have to be addressed with a Tax attorney/CPA.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . Your question with respect to applying for a tax refund (provided you qualify, of course) for any given year should be directed to a CPA or a tax professional along with all supporting documents. Without your income, revenue, evidence of income and or 1099 or W-2 forms no one could tell you qualify.
    In terms of your immigration status, your derivation of any income in the United States and filing your taxes with the IRS has no bearing on your status as anyone regardless of the documented/undocumented status must file a tax return.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

1

Answered . You need to be despatched to the tax section for urgent help.