How do I make sure a waiver of costs and malicious prosecution is valid?

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I'm about to dismiss a defendant in a civil unlimited case. His laywer that has been particularly hard to work with. (I dealt with the lawyer of another defendant so I have a basis for comparison). It has gotten to the point I don't trust that lawyer anymore. AFter a long delay, the lawyer has sent me an email stating their client has agreed to "waive costs and malicious prosecution" (doesn't even say "action"). Is that sufficient? Seems like I would need something a little more official. Are there any rules about what info should be on it? specific wording? format? means of communication (i.e. is email just as acceptable as U.S. mail? etc) Anything else I shoudl keep in mind before I grant this dismissal?

If you'd like to make sure that its done correctly, you could hire an attorney for the limited purpose of reviewing your documents. Otherwise, you might check with a local law school to see if they have a clinic program which can help you.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

If you do not want the dismissal to come back to bite -- you want to enter into a mutual settlement agreement and release which releases all known and unknown claims between the parties for a dismissal of the pending action with prejudice.

The email you mention is insufficient. You need to have an attorney draft such an agreement for you or at least review the proposed agreement drafted by opposing counsel.

A typical agreement identifies the case, parties, and claims of each party, includes terms regarding costs and attorney’s fees, statutory language regarding unknown claims, terms of settlement, and contains other necessary boilerplate. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

If you are going to dismiss that defendant with a waiver of costs and with a waiver of any potential claim for malicious prosecution, you need to the defendant and the defendant's attorney to sign a simple written settlement agreement containing the requisite release language. Just receiving the attorney's email is not sufficient.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

I think actually that if you sent an email back saying "ok" and dismissed the action, you would probably have an enforceable agreement to release of any liability for malicious prosecution.

But "probably" could end up costing you a lot of money. As my colleagues have advised, a formal agreement would make it clear.

In addition, the dismissal form should include the notation that" defendant is to bear his own costs and fees. "

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes