How do I make complaint on police

Hendersonville, NC |
Filed under: Civil rights

after my home was burlarized the police did not complete report. It took me several weeks to find the documents on the stolen property. When I did find the serial numbers for the stolen property I made a list and called the officer. He said to give him the info by phone and I read him the numbers. Later I found that the report did not have all the stolen property listed, when I asked the officer to list it he refused and was very rude about it. I did make a complaint but was then told that he did nothing wrong and that if I wanted items listed that I would have to give them the name of my insurance agent or the case would be closed. I feel like I am being vitimized twice.

1. Perhaps the department is not required to post the serial numbers on their report. My grandma once told me "you get more bees with honey than with vinaigrette," I guess that would apply here as well.

2. As upsetting as this is to you, it is not a violation of your civil rights.

You might find helpful my Legal Guide "What is a civil right?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-is-a-civil-right

Those civil rights laws protect against those who act in violation of constitutional protections under color of law.

God bless you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Civil rights topics