How do I make an ethics complaint against the city prosecutor for Hazel Park, MI?

Troy, MI |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I met the prosecutor to make a deal concerning a civil infraction ticket before the formal hearing. She offered no deal so I requested time to hire an attorney. She said no. Then told me to sign a document. I thought it was a formality so I signed without reading. Went before the judge and began my testimony and he says, "You signed this admission". I explained I never admitted anything and thought the form a formality. He admonished me for signing w/out reading then rescheduled telling the clerk to make sure the officer would be there to testify. Did the prosecutor act unethically and if so how do I report this?

1. If you did not understand the form or read it before signing it, there is not much you can do. While you file a complaint with the AGC, nothing you set forth in the facts constitutes an ethical violation. Sorry you did not have a good experience in court.

The answer to this question does not constitute legal advice nor does create a client relationship with the attorney answering this question. For more specific advice regarding your situation, please consult your lawyer.

2. You didn't read......so the prosecutor is unethical??? THe prosecutor is not supposed to help you, or explain the process--your job. Good lesson to learn and kudo's to the judge for letting you get a second bite at the apple. Go get 'em at that second hearing and best of luck to you.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Professional ethics topics