How do I make an ethics complaint against the city prosecutor for Hazel Park, MI?

I met the prosecutor to make a deal concerning a civil infraction ticket before the formal hearing. She offered no deal so I requested time to hire an attorney. She said no. Then told me to sign a document. I thought it was a formality so I signed without reading. Went before the judge and began my testimony and he says, "You signed this admission". I explained I never admitted anything and thought the form a formality. He admonished me for signing w/out reading then rescheduled telling the clerk to make sure the officer would be there to testify. Did the prosecutor act unethically and if so how do I report this?

Troy, MI -

Timothy A. Dinan

Timothy A. Dinan

Ethics / Professional Responsibility Lawyer - Detroit, MI

If you did not understand the form or read it before signing it, there is not much you can do. While you file a complaint with the AGC, nothing you set forth in the facts constitutes an ethical violation. Sorry you did not have a good experience in court.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Litigation Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

You didn't read......so the prosecutor is unethical??? THe prosecutor is not supposed to help you, or explain the process--your job. Good lesson to learn and kudo's to the judge for letting you get a second bite at the apple. Go get 'em at that second hearing and best of luck to you.

Related Advice