How do I look up if a restraining order has been filed against me in CA?

Asked over 4 years ago - Laguna Niguel, CA

My ex GF drank a lot, to the point of puking and passing out often. One night she blacked out harder than I'd ever seen. I was really worried about her and shook her by the shoulders to see if she was responsive. She wasnt responsive. I stayed awake pacing between her and the TV monitoring her condition. At 330 am she come flying out of the bedroom saying I abused her. She's now saying shes going to file for a restraining order. How can she get one when I was only looking out for her? How do I defend myself? How do I find out if she's actually filed?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joseph Briscoe Dane


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can check the Orange County Court system (link below) to see if there have been any applications for a restraining order.

    A restraining order is not enforceable unless it is served on you, so you'll know if or when you're served.

    You should protect yourself - say NOTHING to anyone about this situation. No facebook, twitter, text or email messages about this. Assume everything you say to anyone is going straight back to the police and the DA to be used against you. You don't say specifically what she's accusing you of, but I can only assume she thinks you did something sexually inappropriate to her while she was passed out. You are potentially under investigation for a criminal offense, so you need to consult with a defense attorney to discuss the situation.

  2. Robin Mashal

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

    If an application is filed with the court, you may be able to locate it by going through the court index of party names. You should immediately retain a defense lawyer if any papers are served on you.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now