How do I locate the father of my children for child support?

The father of our children moved from Mississippi to Texas. The Enforcement Child Support is trying to verify his address. He is not paying child support. What can I do to speed up the process? Can I take him back to court? Do I need to hire an attorney in Texas or in Mississippi? I was told that it is an interstate case because he moved to Texas.

Bolivar, MO -

Attorney Answers (1)

Joshua T. Mathews

Joshua T. Mathews

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Shawnee Mission, KS

If it's a Missouri child support order, it will continue to be a Missouri case. Enforcement will be handed off to whatever state he is living in, but they will enforce the Missouri order, and will not have the power to modify it.

As for finding him, contact a private investigator. Check around on the internet. I know it sounds extreme, but attorneys use them all the time, and rarely pay more than $200. They search electronic databases and data mining sources. They don't have to fly to Texas to find him themselves.

This advice is based upon limited and hypothetical circumstances. For an answer that is specific to your... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.