How do I locate a non-custodial to file an adandement warrant?

Decatur, GA |

My daughters father has been out of her life for the last three yrs and has not made any payments since Jan 2012. The Child Support enforcement of Ga has not enforced any action on my case. I would like to file an adandement warrant but I am unable to locate the NCP and of course Child Support Enforcement will not provide me with his address. What are my options?

1. Even if you locate him, if an abandonment warrant causes him to be incarcerated and lose his job, then it will impede his ability to pay support for your child. If DHS is not pursuing your case, perhaps they are unable to locate him. The US Dept of Health and Human Services, Office of Children and Families, has a Chapter on the location of non-custodial parents: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cse/pubs/2002/reports/essentials/c5.html. Additionally...

You may want to inquire of the Division of Child Support Services as to whether they have searched for the NCP through the Department of Labor and Employment, the Division of Motor Vehicles, the local telephone company, the U.S. Postal Service, Unions, Probation or Parole records, Public Assistance Records, Internet sites, relatives, and the like. I am unaware of the scope of their authority, but believe they have the ability to search for the NCP through these means. You should make an inquiry of DHS, the Dept of Child Support Services, however.

Best of luck.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as nor does it constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Do not rely on this answer in prosecuting or defending against any criminal or civil legal action. Speak to an attorney in your area about how to protect yourself and your interests.

2. Rachel gave a perfect answer.

Let me add one thing. Search online. Start with Facebook and look for both him and his family.

There are paid people searches online. Intellius often works well and if you do only the address search, the most you will spend is less than $10. I would not spend more than that.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Child custody topics