How do I list potential damages for a lawyer in a negligence case? Is there a format, guidance or advice for what/how to list?

Asked 6 months ago - San Clemente, CA

An attorney says I have an excellent cause of action but needs to know my potential damages...I have no background in law so I don't know how or what to list! The lawyer is out of the office until Thursday - any advice would be great...what do you guys want to see? what do you not want to see? do you want us to explain every little detail of the causation for each damage? or should it be general? Since some damages would come from emotional suffering, should I go into a narrative vs. bullet points? HELP! I don't know where to start and I don't want to scare the attorney away with too much text and info!!

1. Roger Stone Reynolds

Pro

17

1

Answered . In a medical malpractice case, special damages are very important, as they are unlimited. These are economic damages for lost income, medical bills, cost of care and rehabilitation, nursing, etc., past, present and future. General damages for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and so forth are limited to $250,000, but still must be compelling. Your economic damages may be offset by any health or disability insurance you may have, so your attorney will need to know that.

2. Mishka L Marshall

Pro

17

1

Answered . First of all, relax. It sounds like you have contacted an attorney who is considering taking your case and he/she needs more information about your damages. The attorney will ask you the questions needed to assess your damages. It will be helpful if you have some of the information organized (see Mr. Rogers' response for details about the types of damages you can seek) for the attorney. For example, if you lost wages because of the malpractice, it will help the attorney to know how much you earn, now much time you lost, etc...

3. Maryam Parman

Pro

15

Answered . Best to wait for your attorney to return and talk to him about what he is looking for.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

16

1

Answered . The drafting of a pleading is a HUGE aspect of a case. I would sit down with an attorney for assistance with the drafting. It is too important not to pay an attorney for an hour or two of her or his time. Either wait until the attorney is back in the office or seek out another attorney

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

15

1

Answered . You can start with your medical bills. You cannot be too detailed. I have some clients that are very meticulous and make my job much easier. It is helpful to have copies of all bills and records of payment whether by you, an insurance company and/or medicaid/medicare. Lost income, broken down as accurately as possible with copies of pay stubs and tax returns for the last 5 years as well as any other documentation that is unique to your employment and benefit plans that may be affected. You should detail you daily activities before the accident and how that changed after the malpractice and the degree of pain during each period of time following the malpractice. Although there are other details that can be provided, this will give the attorney a good idea of the potential scope of your claim.

6. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

11

1

Answered . Bullet points are fine. You didn't say what kind of incident this was or what injuries you're trying to outline, but economic damages are usually out of pocket stuff like medical bills, property damage, and/or lost earnings. Noneconomic damages are usually pain, suffering, embarrassment, inconvenience, etc. Break it down like that.

Pro

11

Answered . If your lawyer can't figure out damages, get one who can. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

8. Kevin William Attkisson

6

Answered . Talk to your lawyer and find out what he wants.

9. Thomas Edwin Martin

2

Answered . If your lawyer is any good, he/she should be able to sit down with you and tell you exactly what he/she needs and what kind of damages are/are not available. If the attorney cannot do something as basic as that, get another one. Never forget that the lawyer works for you, not the other way around.