How do I legally disown a 42 yr old daughter?

Asked over 1 year ago - Joplin, MO

I have spent the past 40 yrs being manipulated and emotionally abused and threatened by her. I am still young enough (61) and strong enough both physically and emotionally to protect myself from her but I do not want her to have any say in what happens to me (physical care, welfare, financial decisions etc. ) in the future. So far I have managed to shut her out of my life but I want some protection from her in yrs to come. Thank you for any help you may be able to offer on this perplexing question.

1. Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

1

Answered . I'm sorry your daughter is treating you so badly. You need to consult with an attorney who deals in both estate planning and elder law so that you will know what documents need to be drafted and what steps you need to take to protect yourself.

2. M. Todd Miller

1

Answered . You may prepare some estate planning documents to address your concerns and if necessary file an ex parte against her if her conduct causes you to fear for your safety. It's always a good idea to hire local counsel to discuss and help.