How do I legally deal with a situation where my email was hacked and misused?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Newark, NJ

One of my emails that I used a while back was hacked and it seems the person who hacked it is a close person because he/she emailed nude pictures of me from my computer (unbeknownst to me) to adult movie studios claiming to be sent for an audition.

Secondly and importantly, this person also emailed a pornstar in CA saying that he/she wanted to make a pornographic video in NJ (they did this claiming to be me). The talks didn't go far and it seems they discussed just the rates.

Now, will I get in trouble for the second point? I emailed the adult movie stars who had my pics and they were kind enough to delete them. But will i be in trouble for the email sent to film a video in NJ? Isn't that illegal?

I am paranoid and nervous. Please help me.

1. Galen J Criscione

2

1

Answered . Considering you did not do anything and did not send the email, it is doubtful that you would face any trouble for sending an email whatever consequences there may be. You had no intention of making any video in or out of NJ so you should be ok on that front. Not only that but no video was made. As to the rest, you may have a civil case against this person under several causes of action. I suggest consulting an attorney.

Feel free to email me for a free consultation if you would like to - gcriscione@lawcrt.com

2. Martin L Bearg

Answered . As my colleague has indicated, if you are NOT a minor, then the mere transmission of email and nude pictures to adults does not sound like a crime for which you can be punished, however, as he has also indicated, there are some civil actions, and perhaps even criminal ones, that you can pursue against the hacker.

Obviously you should terminate the account and seek, if nothing more, an injunction against the hacker friend. In the future, I would, without making judgment, but noting the obvious, refrain from uploading pictures you do not wish circulated for you never know where they will wind-up.

The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.