How do i know the debt collection attorney hounded me is for real

the debt collectors have not contacted me, but served me a summon the summons does not look official i have read about recent scam related to this issue how can i be sure this is not a scam

Princeville, IL -

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Mokena, IL

If you received a summons and no complaint, something is fishy. Take the summons to the clerk of the circuit court in the county where the summons was supposedly issued. If it is a fake, then report the matter to the local police or state's attorney's office.

Marc Gregory Wagman

Marc Gregory Wagman

Bankruptcy Attorney - Chicago, IL

The summons will be an official legal document filed in the Circuit Court directing you to appear. In addition, there will be a lawyers name and bar ID number on it along with a copy of the complaint. You certainly should be able to find the summons online for the county you live in to see if it is the official form.

Tara Leigh Goodwin

Tara Leigh Goodwin

Fraud Lawyer - Chicago, IL

Have a consumer who specializes in consumer law review the summons. Most will provide a free consultation. If the summons is real, the court that supposedly issued it will have a record of the lawsuit, and you can call them or check online to see if the case exists in their system. If it is fake, you may have a claim against the offending party pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You can recover up to $1,000 in statutory damages, plus actual damages and attorneys fees under the FDCPA.

Robert A. Stumpf

Robert A. Stumpf

Bankruptcy Attorney - Staten Island, NY

Contact the Court Clerk where the summons directs you to appear.

Frank Avellone

Frank Avellone

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Chicago, IL

I agree with attorney Tara Goodwin, and would add that "fake" court documents has been an unfair and deceptive practice by some debt collectors for many, many years. I thought that it had gone out of favor, but old tricks tend to circle back.