How do I know my lawyer is charging a fair price

Lantana, FL |
Filed under: Lien

lawyer is asking for $1000.00 contingency fee and $7500.00 to represent me in a lawsuit against a former employer... charging tort interference of a contract, assault, defamation and emotional distress. If there is a trial it will be 300 miles away at the old employment area...which means more fees for travel, hotel, probably a 3 day trial and an additional $2500.00
Have already paid $2500 for lawyer to open the case, he went to mediation with me and wrote the demand letter which former employer is not agreeing with or willing to settle. I have no frame of reference and would like to know if this is fair.

I'm confused. The amounts sound fair if you are paying hourly, but if you are paying contingency, then he should only be getting cost money, and you should not be paying anything unless the lawyer settles or wins, then he gets paid out of the judgment.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Unless you have some sort of hybrid contract.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt