How do I know if the divorce lawyer I'm going to see is a good one?

Lake Charles, LA |
Filed under: Divorce

I don't have much experience dealing with lawyers, and I don't really know what to look for. Are there any kind of awards or commendations that I should be looking for?

If the lawyer has an Avvo profile then it will tell you if they've been the subject of any disciplinary actions before the state bar association. You can also ask your friends or family members who have been divorced who they used and if they were pleased with their lawyer. Don't be afraid to ask your prospective lawyer directly for references and the number of divorces cases they've handled.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create, an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Louisiana. Responses are based solely on Louisiana law unless stated otherwise