Skip to main content

How do I know if my wife was married before marrying me

Houston, TX |

How I can know if my wife was married before marrying, she lived in many states before we got married.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Did you try asking her? If you don't think you got an honest answer, then it might be time to engage a private detective to investigate Any prior marriages she might have had.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Have you asked her? It's cheaper than hiring a private detective.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Ask her.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. You could ask. Or you can start checking for previous marriage licenses in all of the places she lived and visited.

  5. Mr. Behar is right. Hire a private investigator.

  6. This is not an immigration question. In my opinion, if you don't trust what she's telling you, perhaps you are not ready for marriage.

    Contact me at or at 240-395-1506. This response is provided for informational purposes. I cannot provide legal advice specific to the facts of your particular case without a signed contract in which you have agreed to allow me to represent you.