How do I know if my case has been compromised by a workers comp spy?

Peoria, IL |

I've been on workers comp for 2 months, I lawyered up, but when they contacted the insurance to inform them, the insurance rep told the lawyer they had a concern that I was working a second, private job. I was injured at a nursing facility, and am unable to perform duties there. I have had a private client for almost 6 years, but there is no heavy lifting required to care for this individual. The thing is that after this much time this client is more like family. Although I've had other people physically caring for this client, I have continued to write bills and go over there to make sure things run smoothly, and just spend time with this individual because I care for them. Am I in the wrong? Should I b concerned that I'm being spied on? How do u think this will affect my case?

1.) If you have concurrent employment, you get to count both incomes. Why keep it a secret? ALL of your WC benefits are based on your income. If you have no attorney, you are making a VERY big mistake. For Illinois Workers' Compensation claims, you will ALWAYS cheat yourself if your do not hire experienced counsel. You will have someone to guide you through the process AND when it is time to settle, an attorney can add value to your case IN EXCESS of his fee. So, you have fewer headaches AND you get more money. It really is a no-brainer.

2.) If you are just visiting, there is no effect on anything. if you receive $, it should be deducted from your TTD.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

2. That's a great thing to discuss with the lawyer you have.

It's not something you'll know about until trial in most cases, although the attorney or adjuster may let your attorney know.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

3. I agree with mr Hoffman. This is a question for your atty since they are the ones that will be dealing with it

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Connell is a Colorado attorney licensed in only that state. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

4. I would be shocked if you haven't been surveilled. It is absurdly common here. Here is the funny part, the Company's lawyer probably doesn't even know it's going. They'll give him the DVD later. Doesn't sound like they have you outside of your restrictions but what you call "Workers Comp." Illinois law calls Temporary Total Disability. That means if you're working for pay, you're cheating and you're at least semi-caught. Talk to your lawyer and assume you're still surveilled.

5. If your not receiving pay for what you're doing, and not exceeding your restrictions, if you have them. You could actually be considered a volunteer. It may not affect your case at all. Ask your lawyer.

No attorney client relationship has been formed until you sign a representation agreement.

6. If you are represented by an attorney, this question is best asked to him/her. They should be able to answer your question, after all that is why you retained him/her.

7. Your post is a bit vague, maybe discuss it with your attorney. Insurance companies will use private investigator, "spies" more a CIA , NSA, etc thing, but ..., who knows