How do I know if I've paid an attorney too much money? Does he have to return any unearned money back to me?

My attorney hasn't done any work for me other than bring me a plea offer from the DAs office. I was told by Georgia bàr that when I dismiss him to do so in writing asking for my file and any unearned money.

Columbus, GA -

David Jason Merbaum

David Jason Merbaum

Construction / Development Lawyer - Alpharetta, GA

Did you sign a contract with the attorney. Some cases are flat fee cases so the money may be earned when paid, but of course work has to be performed. The State Bar has a fee dispute program. I would write to the attorney and either dismiss him or ask him to contact you because you are not happy with the services. Ask him what is the status of your unused retainer and when that will be returned. If you are not happy then contact the bar and file a complaint.

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Bankruptcy Attorney - Atlanta, GA

You won't know, and it does no good to speculate, until you contact your lawyer directly to discuss and get a copy of his statement. If you have a criminal matter, you obviously need another lawyer so if you make a change the new lawyer might review the bill.

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Daniel Lee O'Neil

Tax Lawyer - Houston, TX

Find a copy of your signed fee agreement and review it, there should be clear terms. If you don't understand it then bring it along with you when you have an initial consultation with a new lawyer and have them review it.

Best of luck

Related Advice