How do I know if I should hire a personal injury lawyer or accept the insurance company's $5000.00 offer for boating accident?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hillsdale, NY

Boating accident. No tickets issued. Other boat totaled and $18,000 damage to ours. Husband was the driver of our boat. I was standing when we hit and I went up in the air, when coming down hit my lower back on railing and landed on counter. Back boarded to hospital. Swelling for almost two months but no fractures. Had some previous degenerative bone disease. Out of work 3 weeks using walker. Cane for several other weeks. Started physical therapy 4 months after for a total of 4 wks. Pain still comes and goes as does swelling. Missed several functions including my own 45 birthday party. My insurance company called me and offered me $5000. I declined stating I felt it should be much higher and gave facts. Agent told me she could not entertain it and told me to call a lawyer.

1. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

8

Answered . You should definitely hire an attorney. The sole objective of an insurance company in this type of claim is to limit your recovery. They will not pay reasonable value of your injuries unless they are forced to do so with the threat of trial.

Hire a personal injury attorney with boating case experience as the maritime law may be implicated and not all PI attorneys are well versed in it.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

8

Answered . Speak to an attorney to represent you.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . That is what is called a nuissance value offer. Consult a personal injury lawyer.

4. Michael R Crosner

7

Answered . Your agent (or claims adjuster) gave you the same answer that I will - Immediately consult with a local personal injury attorney. You sustained a rather serious injury & still have residual pain & disability. Quit talking to the insurance adjuster & call an attorney. Most personal injury attorney handle these cases on a contingency basis (no recovery, no fee) - they are trained to assist you in receiving whatever medical care is necessary & fair compensation for your injuries. Good luck

Pro

7

Answered . Without a lawyer, you will only get a tiny fraction of the true worth of your claim.

One or more answers have been taken down.