How do I know if I'm not allowed to drink while on court supervision for a dui in Illinois?

Aurora, IL |

I assume it would be clearly written somewhere on my supervision sheet but I want to make sure.

Almost every DUI supervision order states that the Defendant is to avoid consuming alcohol. If you do not see it on your Order you can check with your Probation Officer or Attorney.

Ted Harvatin

Ted Harvatin

in the county where I practice that is never part of a supervision order

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

In my state (PA) and in the several western counties in which I practice I have never seen a DUI sentencing order that did not include a prohibition of alcohol and controlled substance use.

With this answer I mean absolutely no disrespect to learned IL counsel who has already responded to your question. He has provided sound legal advice to the question as stated. Here's my thoughts. The fact that you are answering that question with an awareness from some source that you probably are not supposed to be consuming alcohol while on supervision for an alcohol offense. tells me you have an alcohol problem that needs to be addressed by you independent of what the rules of your supervision call for. If you don't get that under control, it will eventually result in your placement where alcohol is not served.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

I had somewhat of the same reaction to the question. Someone charged with DUI probably shouldn't be asking in public about whether he should be allowed to drink.

First of all I have not been drinking. I wanted a better understanding of the orders of my supervision. I have gotten many different answers online about the abstinence issue. I'll be sure to remember William and Judy's answers and make sure no family or friends seek their counsel due to their presumptions on someone they have never met.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Perhaps the offended questioner can explain the purpose of his/her purely academic interest in the subject

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

No, he'd rather shoot the messengers for speaking the truth about the impression his question made. Fortunately, neither you nor I will lose any clients when he tells his friends and family not to hire us.

I apologize for my remarks. I was quite offended but I found the answer I needed. Thank you.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Aight

it would be in the order.

If you have a court monitor or probation officer, you can check with him or her. Otherwise, read the sentencing order.