How do I know if I have been charged with a Class A Misdemeanor

I was never arrested for domestic violence, however the state saw a bruise the size of a dime on my wifes arm. She told them it was not offensive. Detective called to say they were going to call me in for questioning a week ago. No call. They called my wife and she instructed them that we faxed them a letter explaining in detail the case and confirmation that I enrolled asap in anger management and guidance. Still no response. The suspense is unbearable for our 7 kids and ourselves. no previous convictions of any kind.

Dallas, TX -

Paul Holt Walcutt

Paul Holt Walcutt

Domestic Violence Lawyer - Austin, TX

You will have to call the law enforcement agency that has been investigating this case and ask for the warrant division. With a name and date of birth, they will let you know if a warrant has been issued. Of course, there could be an active warrant that won't show up on the computer because the detective hasn't entered it yet. This usually happens when they want to arrest you fairly quickly after getting authorization from a judge.

I would encourage you to stop communicating directly with the detective or the police. (I would also suggest that you be careful about posting information about your case online.) Everything you have said and sent to them will be used against you if they decide to file the charges. While your instinct may be to try to explain your way out of the situation, most of the time the officer is going to make the decision to arrest independent of what a suspect says.

If you have further questions, contact a local criminal defense attorney.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.