How do I know if I have a libel case?

Asked about 1 year ago - Oakdale, CA

I have been accused of actions such as calling someone names and aggressively handling my girlfriend while being intoxicated. None of these statements are true and I have signed letters from the accusing parties witness and others that they are not true including my girlfriend. The parties that are accusing filed a complaint in writing at my country club asking for action to be taken. The information that they put in their complaint came from a 3rd party. They also attacked my girlfriend in the letter. This is obviously a personal problem that they have taken to a level to try to harm our reputation and business.

1. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

4

Answered . Take the letters or communications to a local attorney. defamation has some specific limits and I cnnot tell from your post if you are or are not within them.

2. Robert Samuel Hoover

3

Answered . I agree that you should take all your documentation to an experienced personal injury attorney who practices in the defamation area. Typically you have a year from the date of the "publication" of defamatory statements to bring a cause of action. An experienced attorney can also help you communicate with the board of your country club to clear the matter up at that level. Good Luck.

Pro

3

Answered . Take the papers to a local defamation attorney

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

1

Answered . Sounds like a smear campaign. If it causes you damages, loss of standing in your country club or removal, I would hire a defamation lawyer and let him take it from that point on. Best of luck.