How do I know if I am under federal investigation or have pending federal charges?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I suspect I may be under federal investigation. Is there a way to look up whether or not I am under investigation or have pending federal charges?

1. Robert David Richman

4

Answered . There is no way to know if you are being investigated. That information is kept confidential unless you are subpoenaed to testify in the grand jury and receive a "target letter" stating that you are a target of the investigation. If there are pending federal charges, you would either receive a summons to appear in court or you would be arrested.

If you believe there is a reason that you may be subject to federal charges, you should consult with an attorney. Your attorney may be able to intervene on your behalf before charges are brought to either prevent charges entirely or to achieve a more lenient outcome.

2. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

3

Answered . There is no database that you can access to confirm that you are under investigation by federal authorities, but the answer may be found with the assistance of counsel. Please call or email if you would like to discuss.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

3. Matthew Phillip Konecky

Pro

Answered . I agree with the other two attorneys. There is no way to know if you are under federal investigation. However, if you believe you are being investigated, or think you have committed a crime, it is in your best interest to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to assist you in case you get subpoenaed or arrested.

Review my website to see if answers any questions you may have.