How do I know if charges have dropped?

Troy, OH |

I was charged with passing a bad check but paid off the check before my court date. When my husband went in to pay it off, the person told him that the charges against me would be dropped. I've been checking the court's website and it's still saying I have to go to court. I'm not sure why if she was dropping the charges would I still have to go to court.

1. A number of things could be going here. The prosecutor may have agreed to dismiss the case, and may intend to do so at the court date. Another possibility is that what you are thinking is "dropping the charges" may be some sort of diversion program, where you would have to complete court orders before the case is dismissed. There are other possibilities as well. You should speak with a lawyer about the specifics of your case, and your attorney will be able to speak with the prosecutor to figure out exactly what is going on.

The bottom line, however, is that if you have a court date then YOU MUST ATTEND regardless of whether someone told you verbally that the charges were dropped. Failing to appear could not only ruin any deal you've gotten for dismissal or diversion, but it could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

Matthew C. Bangerter
    38109 Euclid Avenue
    Willoughby, OH 44094
    (440) 946-LAWS (5297)
    www.bangerterlaw.com

2. People do not generally understand that "victims" do not have the right to "drop the charges". If a crime has been committed, and the state/city brings charges, they own the charges and the prosecutor is the only one who can dismiss or amend the charges. That being said, you have a pretrial set, attend the same and speak with the prosecutor. They MAY still want to charge you with the crime, and only the prosecutor can dismiss the charges. Make sure you go to the pretrial and talk to the prosecutor as to what she will do.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at www.kirnerandboldt.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.