Skip to main content

How do I kick out an abusive (verbally) fiancee?

Chicago, IL |

I own the house, he has lived with me for a year because we were planning to get married. I want him to leave but he refuses and when I called the cops because he threatened me with bodily harm, they informed me that since he has established residence with an id card and mail, I would have to evict him legally. Is this true?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you are not married and it is your house you may evict him and file a trespass order, take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. The police are correct. Your fiance's residence is your home. Therefore the only way to have him removed is through eviction proceedings. Go see a landlord/tenant attorney to handle it the proper way. If you try to do this on your own and do it wrong, you will have to start all over again and will delay the process by several months.