How do I join the class action law suit for sketchers

Katy, TX |

I have a medical condition that causes me pain, so when my knees and back were hurting I thought it was my disease. However after my husband suggested the shoes should change things got better. I have had knee surgery and I have been in the hospitol for my back. Not sure what tot do know do I connact an attorney? Or is there some document I just add my name to

1. I did a quick Google Search for you and found a firm who is actively advertising for Skecher injury cases. You should contact this firm to discuss your case and / or ask for a recommendation of an attorney in your area. Here is a link for the information that I found:

http://www.schmidtlaw.com/ftc-settles-skechers-class-action-lawsuit/

Good luck with this matter.

2. The quickest way is to do a Google search for a law firm that is currently handling them.

This response is not intended to act as legal advice. I am not licensed to practice law in any state other than the State of Illinois. No attorney-client relationship is formed until you sign an attorney-client agreement with my office.

3. Mr. Wolf already gave you the name of the law firm that is handling the class action but it appears to me this is solely about false claims that their shoes would cause consumers to lose weight etc and all you would be getting at most, it appears, would be a refund of the amount of the cost of your shoes. Check it out with that law firm.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

4. I'm not familiar with the specific class action litigation you have in mind. The other lawyers who've commented are certainly correct in suggesting that you might obtain information, and perhaps even representation at no out-of-pocket cost to yourself, by researching and contacting a firm that's already handling such a case.

However:

The point of class action litigation is that other than the "named plaintiffs" who originally bring the lawsuit as representatives on behalf of a larger class (that might include you in its definition) of unnamed individuals, no other individuals need formally "join" the litigation as named parties to it.

Under both state and federal law, the lawyers representing the named plaintiffs in a class action have to establish to the court's satisfaction that they meet all of the requirements to establish both that (a) they're fit representatives of the purported class, and (b) the other standards for class actions have been met. That would include showing, for example, that the size of the class is so large that it's impractical for them all to join by name, and that all members of the class have such similar claims that there will be common questions of fact or law which can fairly be litigated on EVERYONE's behalf, including all of the unnamed class members, even without them being before the Court.

Class definition is also part of the class certification process. The named plaintiffs' lawyers will start off with a definition that they like and think is workable and fits the facts, but that's subject to court approval and adjustment. The end result might end up reading something like: "All persons residing within the United States between Jan. 1, 2006, and Dec. 31, 2010, who purchased Sketcher shoes model ABC789 and XYZ123 from an approved Sketchers retailer."

It's extremely common for class certification to only happen simultaneously with the court's consideration, and possible approval or modification, of a proposed settlement that has already been worked out between the named plaintiffs' lawyers and the defendant. As part of the deal, the defendant stops objecting to class certification and, indeed, sometimes will actively support it.

If the judge goes along, he'll typically direct that notice be widely published, and sent as directly as possible to everyone who's potentially a class member. At that point, persons who may fit within the definition of the class, but who don't want to be bound by the terms of the proposed settlement, typically have a short window of time within which, by sending notice to the clerk of the court, they can "opt out." By opting out, such persons can be freed back up to pursue their own claims (or abandon them through inaction) separately from the efforts of the lawyers who've been representing the named plaintiffs (since they're no longer going to be pressing claims on behalf of the class after the settlement, nor pursuing any claims inconsistent with the settlement).

As a practical matter, very few people find it economical to "opt out" and go their own way, however.

After the opt-out period has expired and the settlement approval is final, the defendant will start distributing the agreed-upon benefits under the settlement: It will pay off the lawyers for the named plaintiffs, it will pay the named plaintiffs, and it will start mailing out checks or coupons or doing whatever else has been agreed in the settlement to pay the unnamed class members as and where they can be found. This literally often results in a check or coupons showing up in the mail for people who've never even heard of the class-action litigation, even if they never noticed any problem with the product.

SO: If you're content to be an unnamed class member, and to get only that which other unnamed class members get, you don't have to OPT IN. You can sit back and monitor and cross your fingers.

But it still may be worth contacting the lawyers for the named plaintiffs. (See comment below.)