How do I hire a referee and to do inventory and appraisal of the estate of my mother that I inherited in Surprise, Az

Asked over 1 year ago - Pacifica, CA

I also need to know how much the charge is for this service. I live in California. Should I go to the court house in Phoenix, AZ?

1. Bert Z. Tigerman

3

1

Answered . At date of death was your mother a resident of California or Arizona? If Arizona, the probate has to be in that state. If California, after the probate is opened the court will appoint a Referee, contact him/her and discuss the matter. The Referee will be able to arrange for the Arizona appraisal.

2. Christine James

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Tigerman regarding the jurisdictional issues. Practically, you need to determine if you need an appraisal based upon where your mother lived, the size of her estate, and whether probate is necessary or has been opened. I recommend speaking with a probate attorney to discuss the facts of your particular case and decide what is necessary. If she died in Arizona, owning no property in California, an Arizona attorney would be your best bet and vice versa. Good luck.

3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

2

Best Answer

Answered . Attorneys Tigerman and James have provided you with solid advice. You are wandering in a minefield without an attorney, especially with the jurisdictional issues you have presented. Please retain an experienced estate attorney to guide you through this. Good luck to you.