How do I hire a referee and to do inventory and appraisal of the estate of my mother that I inherited in Surprise, Az

Pacifica, CA |

I also need to know how much the charge is for this service. I live in California. Should I go to the court house in Phoenix, AZ?

Attorneys Tigerman and James have provided you with solid advice. You are wandering in a minefield without an attorney, especially with the jurisdictional issues you have presented. Please retain an experienced estate attorney to guide you through this. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

At date of death was your mother a resident of California or Arizona? If Arizona, the probate has to be in that state. If California, after the probate is opened the court will appoint a Referee, contact him/her and discuss the matter. The Referee will be able to arrange for the Arizona appraisal.

DISCLAIMER: The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship or any right of confidentiality between you and the responding attorney. These responses are intended only to provide general information about perceived legal issues within the question. Each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer is not a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances.

I agree with Mr. Tigerman regarding the jurisdictional issues. Practically, you need to determine if you need an appraisal based upon where your mother lived, the size of her estate, and whether probate is necessary or has been opened. I recommend speaking with a probate attorney to discuss the facts of your particular case and decide what is necessary. If she died in Arizona, owning no property in California, an Arizona attorney would be your best bet and vice versa. Good luck.

Wills and estates topics