How do I hire a referee and to do inventory and appraisal of the estate of my mother that I inherited in Surprise, Az

Asked over 1 year ago - Pacifica, CA

I also need to know how much the charge is for this service. I live in California. Should I go to the court house in Phoenix, AZ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Bert Z. Tigerman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . At date of death was your mother a resident of California or Arizona? If Arizona, the probate has to be in that state. If California, after the probate is opened the court will appoint a Referee, contact him/her and discuss the matter. The Referee will be able to arrange for the Arizona appraisal.

    DISCLAIMER: The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship or any... more
  2. Christine James


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Tigerman regarding the jurisdictional issues. Practically, you need to determine if you need an appraisal based upon where your mother lived, the size of her estate, and whether probate is necessary or has been opened. I recommend speaking with a probate attorney to discuss the facts of your particular case and decide what is necessary. If she died in Arizona, owning no property in California, an Arizona attorney would be your best bet and vice versa. Good luck.

  3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Attorneys Tigerman and James have provided you with solid advice. You are wandering in a minefield without an attorney, especially with the jurisdictional issues you have presented. Please retain an experienced estate attorney to guide you through this. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,034 answers this week

3,616 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,034 answers this week

3,616 attorneys answering