How do I go after tenant in Nassau county in single family home for rent owed since 30 day notice was served?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hempstead, NY

I have a tenant that Im evicting from a single family home in Hempstead, NY. No lease (month to month) He was served a thirty day notice on june 27, with a deadline of july31. Needless to say the tenant is still there living rent free. I never received any rent from June on. So now with September here, that is practically 4 months in addition to any subsequent months. This is currently a holdover. I was not going after any back rent, but since this process has started, he is set on living rent free as long as he can. I would be going after all the months since 30 day notice served. I would like to know how I can get that money he owes. Also, if he secured a lawyer, is it right/legal for them to advise tenant not to pay rent during this process? Shouldn't tenant continue paying rent?

1. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

9

Answered . You have embarked on a losing proposition self helping an L&T action. You are not supposed to accept rent during the predicate notice period or else you blow the requirements of a summary holdover proceeding. A lawyer is an affordable proposition. Get one.

2. Steven Warren Smollens

8

Answered . Dear Hempstead Landlord:

While it is prudent to forego accepting rent after serving a tenancy termination notice, the summary proceeding statute does not force the landlord to forever forebear from gaining a judgment for the unpaid rent.

The statute allows a landlord to sue for "past" rent (unpaid), use and occupancy (that came due after termination of the tenancy [in this particular case, rent due through July 31 and U & O from July 31, 2013 to date of judgment]), as long as the landlord gave notice of the intent to seek the money judgment in the holdover notice of petition, and made a request for the money judgment in the petition, as well as the judgment for possession.

If the landlord did not provide notice that a money judgment is an object of the lawsuit, then the landlord cannot usually gain a money judgment when successful in the holdover proceeding.

So if you made your papers properly you preserved your rent and use and occupancy claims for a money judgment in the holdover proceeding, and if no notice was made in the notice of petition, then likely you will not recover money in the holdover case as part of your judgment.

No photo
    Posted about 1 year ago.

ok.......Thank you

Steven Warren Smollens
    Steven Warren Smollens, Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - New York, NY
    Posted about 1 year ago.

OK. Good luck.

Richard J. Chertock
    Richard J. Chertock, Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Melville, NY
    Posted about 1 year ago.

You will have a better chance at getting a money judgment if you get jurisdiction through personal service of the petition as opposed to substituted service so be sure to use a qualified process server to serve the petition and notice of petition on the tenant after the 30 day period has run.

Steven Warren Smollens
    Posted about 1 year ago.

Yes. Personal jurisdiction is important.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . Cur your losses and hire a landlord-tenant lawyer to get the person out as fast as possible.