Skip to main content

How do I go about taking my sons father to court for child support? And if ex is married does his wifes income count as well?

Hoffman Estates, IL |

Also, he recently lost his job and is filing unemployment. His wife is also employed. My son was covered under his insurance but no longer is because of loosing his job. Is his wife able to put my son under her insurance when she adds my ex to her insurance?

Attorney Answers 2


If you're on public aid, contact DHS, they will prosecute a child support proceeding on your behalf for free. Only the father's income is factored under Illinois' child support guidelines (750 ILCS 5/505), you will be unable to compel the wife to contribute anything to a child that's clearly not hers.

Mark as helpful


The Department of Human Services to make a child support argument and petitions on your behalf.

Family Community Resource Center
600 S State St
Elgin, IL 60123

Phone: (847) 931-2700

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics