How do i go about settling a debt that i'm being sued for?

Do i write the other side with a settlement offer or do i call them. What exactly do i ask for in return for settlement to make sure that i don't have this debt pop up again in the future.

Los Angeles, CA -

Lloyd Stewart Mann

Lloyd Stewart Mann

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Sherman Oaks, CA

You can go ahead and call the plaintiff's counsel and explain that you would like to settle. If you settle the case, you would need a release agreement signed by the other side, and the agreement needs to obligate the plaintiff to dismiss the case with prejudice upon you making the payment or payments you agree to make.

Scott Richard Kaufman

Scott Richard Kaufman

Lemon Law Attorney - Los Altos, CA

This really depends on the size of the debt, its legitimacy, the Plaintiff suing you and whether it is an original creditor or a third party. How old is the debt, etc. Feel free to contact my firm on the issue this week. We handle consumer protection matters statewide and often when an atty shows up in these types of matters debt collection cases may "go away."

http://www.CaLemons.com

Charles Ross Smith III

Charles Ross Smith III

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Sandusky, OH

Take a look at my Legal Guide "How to Negotiate Debts.
http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-neg...

Remember, in negotiating debts, "money talks. Nothing else works."

I hope it's helpful. Good luck.