How do i go about settling a debt that i'm being sued for?

Do i write the other side with a settlement offer or do i call them. What exactly do i ask for in return for settlement to make sure that i don't have this debt pop up again in the future.

1. You can go ahead and call the plaintiff's counsel and explain that you would like to settle. If you settle the case, you would need a release agreement signed by the other side, and the agreement needs to obligate the plaintiff to dismiss the case with prejudice upon you making the payment or payments you agree to make.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IT HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Mann is licensed to practice in the State of California. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this educational exchange. Moreover, the facts provided by you were not sufficient to allow Mr. Mann to advise you specifically regarding what you should or should not do. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Mann is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter, or to take any action whatsoever.

2. This really depends on the size of the debt, its legitimacy, the Plaintiff suing you and whether it is an original creditor or a third party. How old is the debt, etc. Feel free to contact my firm on the issue this week. We handle consumer protection matters statewide and often when an atty shows up in these types of matters debt collection cases may "go away."

http://www.CaLemons.com

3. Take a look at my Legal Guide "How to Negotiate Debts.
    http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-negotiate-a-credit-card-debt

Remember, in negotiating debts, "money talks. Nothing else works."

I hope it's helpful. Good luck.

Don't forget to click on the "Best Answer" button, if you appreciate this wit and wisdom. This answer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may not be relied upon as legal advice. A careful examination of the facts is necessary before a legal answer may be relied on. You should consult your own attorney before taking or refraining from any legal action.