How do I go about putting my moms name on the land her and her late husband owned? Only his name is on the deed.

Asked about 2 years ago - Tallahassee, FL

My mom and dad where married for 33yrs but only his name is on the deed to the land she now wants to use the land as colateral for a new home. My dad passed 10yrs ago with no change to the land. What is the best way for her to put her name on the land? There was no will when he died.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ian C. White

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I presume the land you reference is not homestead property. If this is the case, a probate would need to be opened and the property would flow under Florida's intestecy laws for conveying real property.

  2. Marian Audrey Lindquist

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to probate this estate. It can be done in a summary administration since he died 10 years ago. Your mother receives a percentage share, but not an entire share You need a lawyer.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be... more
  3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The land will have to go through probate and your mom will need to hire an attorney.
    What happens next will depend on if 1st or later marriage and number of children involved.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,579 answers this week

3,304 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,579 answers this week

3,304 attorneys answering