How do I go about obtaining a right of way or easement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lexington, NC

I am interested in purchasing some property and I have investigated the deed and found no right of way or easement to the property. There is a established right of way that borders the property I wish to purchase and it is a private street that is on maps, but nothing in the deed details me to have access to it.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Cheryl Rivera Smith

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The best way is to acquire an easement across the property you need to get to the street. It may be possible that you can acquire an easement by necessity. It will take a lawsuit. You should contact a local attorney.

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You will need to bring a lawsuit so retain a lawyer.

Related Topics

Easements and land use law

An easement is a right to enter or use someone else's property for a specific reason. It remains in force even if the property is sold and is also transferable.

Raymond Richard Michalski

Know Your Boundaries

Now that the residential real estate market is showing some signs of recovery, it's a good time to review some tips about buying and selling a home. Usually, home sales involve important... more

Property line disputes

Property line disputes arise when neighbors can't agree on where the property line lies. They can often be resolved by looking at the deeds to the property.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,276 answers this week

2,926 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,276 answers this week

2,926 attorneys answering