How do I go about modifying my alimony?

Asked 12 months ago - Hagerstown, MD

Divorced in Maryland in 1993. Monthly alimony payment 1400/month. Now unemployed and on social security income. Living now in Mississippi. Cannot afford lawyer's fees.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David Raymond Mahood


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . There are a number of facts an attorney would need to know in order to give you a good answer: 1) Is the alimony nonmodifiable? 2) Does the court still have jurisdiction to modify alimony? 3) Is your ex-spouse employable? 4) What are the living expenses and living circumstances of your ex-spouse?

    If the circumstances of your legal situation are favorable, it is possible you could have the alimony totally eliminated or reduced substantially. However, you will need to disclose all relevant facts of your legal situation to an attorney to get the good legal advice you truly need. At $1,400.00 per month, this is an issue worth dealing with in an appropriate manner.

    This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with... more
  2. Bennett James Wills


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . File the appropriate motions in circuit court either yourself using the forms available online or through an attorney.

    This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,059 answers this week

2,790 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,059 answers this week

2,790 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary