How do I go about modifying my alimony?

Hagerstown, MD |

Divorced in Maryland in 1993. Monthly alimony payment 1400/month. Now unemployed and on social security income. Living now in Mississippi. Cannot afford lawyer's fees.

1. There are a number of facts an attorney would need to know in order to give you a good answer: 1) Is the alimony nonmodifiable? 2) Does the court still have jurisdiction to modify alimony? 3) Is your ex-spouse employable? 4) What are the living expenses and living circumstances of your ex-spouse?

If the circumstances of your legal situation are favorable, it is possible you could have the alimony totally eliminated or reduced substantially. However, you will need to disclose all relevant facts of your legal situation to an attorney to get the good legal advice you truly need. At $1,400.00 per month, this is an issue worth dealing with in an appropriate manner.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you because you have not yet retained me, and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is provided as GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. If you want me to provide legal advice, then you must call for a Consultation. If you would like me to represent you, then a Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

2. File the appropriate motions in circuit court either yourself using the forms available online or through an attorney.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.