How do I go about modifying my alimony?

Asked 12 months ago - Hagerstown, MD

Divorced in Maryland in 1993. Monthly alimony payment 1400/month. Now unemployed and on social security income. Living now in Mississippi. Cannot afford lawyer's fees.

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

Answered . There are a number of facts an attorney would need to know in order to give you a good answer: 1) Is the alimony nonmodifiable? 2) Does the court still have jurisdiction to modify alimony? 3) Is your ex-spouse employable? 4) What are the living expenses and living circumstances of your ex-spouse?

If the circumstances of your legal situation are favorable, it is possible you could have the alimony totally eliminated or reduced substantially. However, you will need to disclose all relevant facts of your legal situation to an attorney to get the good legal advice you truly need. At $1,400.00 per month, this is an issue worth dealing with in an appropriate manner.

2. Bennett James Wills

Pro

Answered . File the appropriate motions in circuit court either yourself using the forms available online or through an attorney.