HOW DO I GO ABOUT LEGALLY DOING THE COMMON LAW WITH MY HUSBAND? IN TEXAS?? WHAT ALL SHOULD I DO AND FILL OUT TO CHANGE MY NAME?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

WE LIVE TOGETHER HAVE KIDS TOGETHER AND ARE ALREADY CLAIMING TO BE MARRIED. WHAT ARE TEXAS LAWS BEHING COMMON LAW MARRIAGES?

1. Lucio Antonio Montes

3

Answered . If you want your common law marriage recognized, you should go to the nearest justice of the peace court in your county and fill out a Declaration and Registration of an Informal Marriage. It is a form you can also download from Texas Vital Statistics http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/field/vsforms/lo.... It is form VS-180.1. You still have to take it to the county clerk to register it. Mr Hamer did a good job at laying out the requirements for a common law marriage.

2. Stephen Andrew Hamer

2

Answered . To be common law married (called Informal Marriage in Texas): 1) must agree to be married, 2) have lived together as husband wife for some time, 3) represented to other people that you are husband and wife.

You can petition to change your name as well.

Call a local family law attorney who can better explain.

3. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Go to courthouse, get license, go back in three days and get married.

God Bless