How do I go about having my 3 family changed to a 2 family so we can use the apt as our house and avoid Fire marshall inspection

After a fire at our residence we now want to convert our home into a 2 family. What is required and how likely is it we will get a change?

Meriden, CT -

Richard D. Kelly

Richard D. Kelly

Real Estate Attorney - Oradell, NJ

You should most definitely consult with a local attorney who is seasoned in zoning work. My practice is limited to NJ. In our state, as in many others, your quest would begin with the local building/zoning department. It may also be necessary that structural changes be made to accommodate the newly requested status.

Max L Rosenberg

Max L Rosenberg

Bankruptcy Attorney - Stratford, CT

This is definitely a zoning issue. Each town may have its own standard zoning regulations or town ordinances applying to this matter. You would be best advised to find a local attorney who knows both Meriden regulations and town politics. Otherwise I have seen people remove closets and walls to lessen the amount of actual bedrooms they have as well as rip apart bathrooms to try to devalue a house.

Philip M. Block

Philip M. Block

State, Local, and Municipal Law Attorney - New Britain, CT

This is relatively easy. Have plans drawn as to your conversion . Present them to the zoning enforcement officer asking for confirmation that this will change the classification of the property. If he agrees as to the scope of work, then get your building permits, do the work and have the building and zoning officials certify to the work. Then have the changes confirmed by the Town Tax assessor so all the records agree and you will be done.