How do I go about having my 3 family changed to a 2 family so we can use the apt as our house and avoid Fire marshall inspection

Meriden, CT |

After a fire at our residence we now want to convert our home into a 2 family. What is required and how likely is it we will get a change?

1. You should most definitely consult with a local attorney who is seasoned in zoning work. My practice is limited to NJ. In our state, as in many others, your quest would begin with the local building/zoning department. It may also be necessary that structural changes be made to accommodate the newly requested status.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ANSWER IS BASED SOLELY ON THE QUESTION AS PRESENTED. THIS ANSWER DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN US. YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO CONTACT AN ATTORNEY OF YOUR CHOICE TO FULLY DISCUSS YOUR SITUATION AND EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS.

2. This is definitely a zoning issue. Each town may have its own standard zoning regulations or town ordinances applying to this matter. You would be best advised to find a local attorney who knows both Meriden regulations and town politics. Otherwise I have seen people remove closets and walls to lessen the amount of actual bedrooms they have as well as rip apart bathrooms to try to devalue a house.

We can be reached at 203-870-6700. Our web address is: www. rosenbergandpress.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Rosenberg and Press, LLC are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Rosenberg and Press helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

3. This is relatively easy. Have plans drawn as to your conversion . Present them to the zoning enforcement officer asking for confirmation that this will change the classification of the property. If he agrees as to the scope of work, then get your building permits, do the work and have the building and zoning officials certify to the work. Then have the changes confirmed by the Town Tax assessor so all the records agree and you will be done.