How do i go about giving up my parental rights.

Asked over 1 year ago - Olympia, WA

i have not had custody of my children since 2008

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kate M Forrest

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The only ways parental rights and responsibilities can be terminated are a dependency action (CPS taking your child away because you are unfit) and an adoption (someone else wanting to take over your role as parent)...otherwise, you can't just walk away from being a parent.

  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . See my AVVO Legal Guides on child custody and modification of parenting plans. Click on my photo, scroll down to "Contribution" and click on "Legal Guides". Then you can find the topics that relate to your situation. In most cases the noncustodial parent cannot "give up" their parental rights. Parental rights can be terminated in a case of severe child abuse or neglect, or in connection with a proceeding for another person (like a step-parent) to adopt the child.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more
  3. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Custody and support are totally separate issues. the law will not force you to have a relationship with your children, but you will be expected to support them, at least until the day comes that another adult is willing to assume that obligation and raise your children.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designte a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now