How do i go about giving up my parental rights.

Olympia, WA |

i have not had custody of my children since 2008

1. The only ways parental rights and responsibilities can be terminated are a dependency action (CPS taking your child away because you are unfit) and an adoption (someone else wanting to take over your role as parent)...otherwise, you can't just walk away from being a parent.

2. Custody and support are totally separate issues. the law will not force you to have a relationship with your children, but you will be expected to support them, at least until the day comes that another adult is willing to assume that obligation and raise your children.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designte a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

3. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child custody and modification of parenting plans. Click on my photo, scroll down to "Contribution" and click on "Legal Guides". Then you can find the topics that relate to your situation. In most cases the noncustodial parent cannot "give up" their parental rights. Parental rights can be terminated in a case of severe child abuse or neglect, or in connection with a proceeding for another person (like a step-parent) to adopt the child.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Child custody topics