Skip to main content

How do I go about giving a family member guardianship/custody of my two teenage children?

Bucyrus, OH |

I live in Ohio and I am moving to SC, my two teenage children do not want to go with me. How do I go about giving custody or guardianship to a family member?

Attorney Answers 1


You personally cannot give guardianship or custody of children to another, only a court can. If the family member wants to apply for guardianship he or she could do so by an Application for Guardianship filed in the local probate court. It's also possible to get temporary custody through the Juvenile Court, but one would have to allege that the children are neglected and thus the need for temporary custody.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics