How do I go about getting my husband his papers for residency in the U.S?

Murray, UT |

My husband and I will have a year being married together, he is originally from Guatemala. We got married in Guatemala and not the states, I am a us citizen and he is not. I have all his records and everything together we were both wondering what my next step is to file for him to be a resident in the USA.

The next step, unless you are willing to waste a lot of time uselessly and not obtain any results, is to schedule a private consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer in your area, to examine husband's situation, explain the law as it applies to him and tell you how to proceed .

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Is he in the US? How did he enter? Did he enter legally. You can see our video on you tube which explains the process for bringing a spouse to the US. We would need the above questions answered to explain the process.

He is currently in Guatemala. He has entered twice in the US illegally.

The answer on what you need to do depends upon whether he come to the US legally or illegally. If he came with a visa the process will be easier & faster. If not, it's more complicated but not impossible. You should get a lawyer.

I noticed in your answer to Attorney Pollack that you mentioned your husband previously entered the United States twice illegally. That is a crucial piece of information that can significantly affect his situation.

It will serve you well to schedule at least a consultation with a competent immigration attorney near you to discuss the details of your husband's case in private.

Right off the top, some of the issues that will come up is whether there is an existing Deportation Order against your husband? If so, when was the Order issued?

In my mind, when someone says there are two previous illegal entries, and now the person is at home, I get the feeling there may be an Order of Removal "out there," so to speak...

This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.

You need to retain local immigration counsel and discuss your husband's situation in detail. I agree with the answers of my colleagues. Good luck to you.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.