How do I go about getting my husband his papers for residency in the U.S?

Asked over 1 year ago - Murray, UT

My husband and I will have a year being married together, he is originally from Guatemala. We got married in Guatemala and not the states, I am a us citizen and he is not. I have all his records and everything together we were both wondering what my next step is to file for him to be a resident in the USA.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . The next step, unless you are willing to waste a lot of time uselessly and not obtain any results, is to schedule a private consultation with a skilled immigration lawyer in your area, to examine husband's situation, explain the law as it applies to him and tell you how to proceed .

2. Karen-Lee Pollak

3

Answered . Is he in the US? How did he enter? Did he enter legally. You can see our video on you tube which explains the process for bringing a spouse to the US. We would need the above questions answered to explain the process.

3. Shiva Pal Gill

3

Answered . The answer on what you need to do depends upon whether he come to the US legally or illegally. If he came with a visa the process will be easier & faster. If not, it's more complicated but not impossible. You should get a lawyer.

4. Sonya Nicole Campbell

3

Answered . I noticed in your answer to Attorney Pollack that you mentioned your husband previously entered the United States twice illegally. That is a crucial piece of information that can significantly affect his situation.

It will serve you well to schedule at least a consultation with a competent immigration attorney near you to discuss the details of your husband's case in private.

Right off the top, some of the issues that will come up is whether there is an existing Deportation Order against your husband? If so, when was the Order issued?

In my mind, when someone says there are two previous illegal entries, and now the person is at home, I get the feeling there may be an Order of Removal "out there," so to speak...

This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.
  5. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

2

Answered . You need to retain local immigration counsel and discuss your husband's situation in detail. I agree with the answers of my colleagues. Good luck to you.