Skip to main content

How do I go about getting my child support adjusted? I was recently fired from my job and now am on unemployment.

Gig Harbor, WA |

I have four children. My monthly child support is $850. My annual income for last year was $98,000. My child support has not been adjusted since the divorce was finalized in 2005, nor has my ex requested it to be. I was recently fired from my job and I am now attempting to draw unemployment. If approved, my unemployment benefit would be $574 per week, or $2296 monthly. My question is......can I contact DCS to have the child support amount adjusted accordingly, or am I best off to leave it be as is?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It seems you have some number crunching to do. You'll want to work through the child support worksheet. Most Family Law attorneys have software that can calculate child support quickly. I suggest hiring one to do the math for you. I've listed a good publication for understanding the process and how the support is ultimately determined in WA state.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer