How do I go about getting an earlier court date. Can the public defendant motion the judge, what's required in GA?

Decatur, GA |

My husband was in jail for a technical violation of probation, he did not re-commit a crime it was because of not doing community service. He spent 15 days alresady in jail because of a traffic violation 8 years ago. My prayer is for the judge to reinstate his probation and to possibly give him an earlier court date. Can his public defendant motion the judge or give a written request to go before the judge earlier. He has also had medical problems that have not been addressed even after turning in 7 forms to see a doctor. What can he do in this situation because if this isn't taken care of he will be in there for almost a month.

If he has a public defender, he/she needs to be contacted and told of his medical condition, first and foremost. Additionally, your husband needs to contact his attorney and ask that he/she contact the case manager and have the matter scheduled as soon as practicable. Unfortunately, due to budget shortfalls and backlogged dockets in the metro courts 30 days is not out of the ordinary, regardless of how harsh the punishment is in relation to the offense.

I agree with my colleague. The best recourse in this issue would be to contact your attorney and ask him to call the case manager. In all honesty, the case managers for the Judge control the calender so that is your quickest and most beneficial way to get this case on a calender sooner than later.