Skip to main content

How do I go about getting a international divorce?

Branford, CT |

I live in Connecticut and he lives in Accra, Ghana. Where do I file?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have to file a Motion with your initial divorce paperwork requesting out of country service by international registered mail, return receipt requested. You should contact an attorney to assist you with this.

Best of Luck.

Providing answers to questions on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is not possible to provide legal advice in the context of question and answers on the internet. The "answers" posted are solely for the purpose of providing general information about legal matters. Consult an attorney licensed to practice in your state or jurisdiction before taking any action. Be advised that what you post on AVVO is not confidential and in a civil law suit may be discoverable.


Connecticut, probably, and you'd have to some how serve the other party, which sometimes can be difficult, but is something experienced matrimonial attorneys have knowledge of.


I am an Attorney licensed in Connecticut and New York with my offices located in Stratford, CT. You would file in Connecticut. You would file an Order of Notice for service by publication. In this manner he would receive service through the local Ghanesse newspaper. If this is properly done you will be able to get a judgment even if he never appears or shows up. Our firm handles situations like this frequently. Feel free to contact us for further assistance.

We can be reached at 203-870-6700. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Rosenberg and Press, LLC are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Rosenberg and Press helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer