Skip to main content

How do I go about getting a garnishment reduced from 25% to 10% because I am head of household and need that money for family

Columbia, MO |

The garnishment is from a credit card company I couldn't pay back when I lost my job of 15 years and couldn't get another one for two years. So that was 6 years ago and now they are garnishing my wages but I need to keep a roof over my kids and my head and pay for gas to get back and forth to work

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Assuming MO has a "head of household" exemption (I don't know), you would file something akin to a "claim of exemption" with the court that issued the garnishment. Odds are the court's website will have such a form online.

I found the form below from the MO court website. But you should do your own search.


In Eastern District of MO, where I practice, I would use a different form than the one Attorney Berkus cited, but that one could work. Check with your payroll department, it should be able to confirm
P.S. MO does have a head of household exemption.,

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer